EPA Releases Webinar on Green Certified Cleaning Products
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released an overview of a webinar conducted in June 2018 and announced that it is now available on-demand.
The webinar is titled Routine Cleaning and Maintenance for a Healthy School Environment. Although the focus is on the importance of Green and effective cleaning in a school, the benefits of the information are easily transferable to any setting.
Presenters at the event included:
- Tracy Enger, Indoor Environments Division, US Environmental Protection Agency
- Stephen Ashkin, President, The Ashkin Group
- Mervin Brewer, Assistant Custodial Supervisor, Salt Lake City School District, Utah
- Ricky Martinez, Assistant Custodial Supervisor, Salt Lake City School District, Utah
Some of the key points made during the webinar included items the professional cleaning industry is well aware of, such as:
- Environments are healthier when they are kept clean and well maintained
- Airborne irritants and allergens have a negative impact on health and performance
- Regular and thorough cleaning can prevent pest problems, minimize irritants and allergens, and create healthier learning and working environments for children and staff.
This year, the EPA went one step further and suggested that whenever possible, certified green cleaning products from sustainable suppliers should be purchased.
To determine if a distributor is a sustainable supplier, the EPA recommends using the Sustainable Purchasing Tool, developed by The Ashkin Group.
“The ‘Tool’ helps purchasers differentiate between those distributors that have sustainability programs in place and those that do not,” said Stephen Ashkin, president of The Ashkin Group. “Invariably, those distributors that do, are ‘walking their talk.’ They are more aware of the importance of these issues and [are] better equipped to help administrators become Greener and more sustainability-focused as well.”
One of the most effective ways to create a healthy environment is to improve everyday maintenance to keep facilities clean and running smoothly and safely.
You may also be interested in this article about the rise in sustainable construction.